Monday, February 15, 2010

Weirdest beer ever created ? Mikkeller Beer Geek Brunch: Weasel edition



I was recently tipped off to a beer that left me with my jaw on the floor. There are plenty of weird and creative beers out there. Some of the stranger ones include a bacon beer from Front Street Ale house, Shorts has produced a peanut butter and jelly beer, and Magic hat has brewed a beer made with beets. I think Mikkeller now wears the crown for creating the weirdest beer concocted.

Mikkeller is the project of brewer Mikkel Borg Bjergs whose beer is created as a result of Bjergs traveling around the world. Bjergs collaborates beer with other breweries and also uses other brewery's facilities to create his own beer. Mikkeller's "Beer Geek Brunch" varies slightly from their "Beer Geek Breakfast". Beer Geek Breakfast is a 7.5% oatmeal coffee stout. The slight variations being a higher abv (10.9%) and a very interesting type of coffee bean. The coffee used in this beer are coffee berries that have been eaten and passed by a weasel like animal from southeast Asia called a Civet. That's right boys and girls, the coffee beans have already been made a tasty lunch by the Civet and then were collected to make beer. The Civet has a very discerning pallet and only chooses the highest quality coffee beans. The coffee is obviously very expensive, it sells for approximately $150 a pound. It is regarded by many as being the best coffee in the world.

I am not a coffee enthusiast, especially in my beer but if someone poured me a glass I would not turn it down. Curiosity would get the best of me if I did not take a sip. I was very skeptical regarding the validity of "weasel coffee", which is what this style of coffee is commonly referred too but I have done some research and it is very real. Dave Barry has even wrote a very funny article about the coffee used by Mikkeller, which can be read here.

Barry remarks,"What kind of world is it when you worry that people might be ripping you off by selling you coffee that was NOT pooped out be a weasel."

"Beer Geek Brunch" has been very well received in the beer community. Mikkeller deserves massive accolades for going the extra mile with this beer.

Here is the link for the official webpage of the weasel edition of "Beer Geek Brunch"
and here is a link if you wish to purchase Civet Coffee

No comments:

Post a Comment